Friends, I have a confession. I love kale. I don’t care if it’s cliché at the point (“oh wow, another vegan who loves kale, shocking”) – I can’t and won’t stop.
It’s crunchy, sturdy enough to hold up under a generous amount of dressing, and healthy AF. And if you prepare it right, I promise it’s downright delicious.
Also potentially cliché- I love hummus. Again, don’t care if that’s the most basic thing ever. I like to say that things are basic for a reason: because a lot of people recognized what’s good.
This recipe combines BOTH of these awesome things: kale and hummus.
I’m sharing this recipe with you all in a continued effort to get more healthy, fruit and veggie rich recipes out there than scream “New Year, New Me.” (But don’t worry, I’ve got a bunch of baking ideas up my sleeve for next month). You will love this recipe because it comes together in a flash (especially if you pre-cook your quinoa), is easy, nutrient packed and a great combination of flavors and textures.
Also, this recipe features the easiest ever hummus dressing for all you folks looking for quick ways to up your salad game. I could see this dressing playing very nicely with many of your other kitchen creations.
How are your healthy living resolutions going for 2018? Do you have any, or are you resolution-adverse? I’d love to hear your thoughts!
- Easy Hummus Dressing
- 1/2 cup your favorite classic hummus
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- Everything Else
- 8 cups lacinato or dinosaur kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup cooked and cooled tricolor quinoa
- 1 cup red grapes, sliced in half
- 1 large carrot, cut into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp fresh dill fronds, roughly chopped
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing.
- In a large bowl, massage dressing into the kale with your hands for a few minutes to soften the leaves and reduce any bitter flavor.
- Add the quinoa and work into the kale and dressing mixtures for a moment. Add all remaining ingredients and toss to combine. Serve immediately.