Friends. Friends. (Vegan) Chocolate peanut butter rice crispy treats!! Am I right?
I’ve been obsessed with chocolate and peanut butter since I was a child, so these peanut butter rice crispy treats just feel right coming out of my kitchen. Every year, like most kids, I looked forward to trick or treating. But truth be told, all I really wanted was a pile of Reese’s peanut butter cups. At the end of the night, I’d empty out my loot-filled pumpkin bucket, stare at the huge heap of candy… and promptly push aside anything that wasn’t a peanut butter cup.
My dedication to those peanut butter cups was especially impressive since, growing up in Buffalo, NY, I often braved some pretty wintery temperatures to collect as many as I could. I vividly remember one Halloween where my Snow White costume was completely obscured by a winter coat, vest, hat and scarf. My little brother fared slightly better by stuffing his ski jacket under his Batman costume. He just looked like he’d been bulking and hitting the weight room to save Gotham.
But I digress. The point is, I will work hard for chocolate and peanut butter. And I still do today. I mean I sat on a spin bike for a whole thirty minutes today just to eat these beauties. I even got a pimple on my forehead from sweating so hard. I deserve these (and so do you).
These peanut butter rice crispy treats are that perfect, classic combination of sweet and salty and are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. Perfectly peanut buttery, chocolatey, crunchy and gooey all at the same time. Best of all they come together quickly, are totally kiddo-friendly and no one would know they are vegan. They are even gluten free!
After giving them a quick chill in the freezer, I decided to up the ante on these peanut butter rice crispy treats by adding a generous layer of melted chocolate and chopped peanuts. For the photos I also drizzled a bit of PB2 on the rice crispy treats, but that is by no means necessary. They are super indulgent tasting even without the drizzle.
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (I used Earth Balance brand)
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance buttery spread
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 4 cups rice crisp cereal
- 1 cup non-dairy chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life brand or Trader Joe’s)
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/3 cup roasted salted peanuts, chopped
- Prepare an 8 by 8 inch baking dish with parchment paper. Spay the parchment paper generously with coconut oil or your favorite non-stick spray.
- Add the peanut butter, brown rice syrup, Earth Balance, and vanilla extract to a large pan. Heat over low heat, stirring frequently, until everything is melted and smoothly combined.
- Remove from heat and stir in rice crisp cereal. Keep stirring until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Empty the mixture into the prepared pan. Use a spatula or large spoon sprayed with coconut oil to press everything down evenly.
- Transfer to freezer and allow to set for about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a microwave safe dish, combine chocolate chips and coconut oil. Heat until melted on low heat, stopping to stir several times. In my microwave, this took about one and a half minutes on power level 30.
- Remove rice crispy treats from freezer and top with melted chocolate and chopped peanuts. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.
- Slice into 9-12 squares (you could even go smaller as these are rich) and remove from pan. Best stored in an airtight container. I keep mine in the fridge since we live in Florida!